GMO Inside Blog

Bill aims to label all genetically modified food

Originally Published by KHON2
by Taizo Braden
February 4, 2013
Source article

A new bill at the state legislature wants to label all food that is genetically modified.

But farmers came down on both sides of the issue, not only on the safety of the GMO products, but also the cost.

House Bill 174 wants any food product that is produced or sold in Hawaii to have a label saying it contains or was made using genetically engineered material or GMO.

Supporters of the bill testified before a state committee on agriculture Monday morning, and many just wanted to be better educated when it comes to picking food.

“And its not pono and I just hope you guys just give us the right. Nine out of 10 people that know about it say they just want to label it. We are not asking for much, we just want to know what we are eating,” bill supporter Aubrie Allen said.

But farmers warn that the bill puts too much burden on them because it asks that any food raised with GMO fertilizer or other GMO products must be labeled. That could be up to 80 percent of the food in the market.

“If you label the other 20 percent of foods GMO-free, then that’s a cost that is born. And if they have to regulate it, it’s not going to be such a burden to the rest of the 80 percent of food. Economically, it just makes more sense, ” said Alicia Maluafiti, Hawaii Crop Improvement Association.

Farmers say the cost to label the products will be passed on to the consumer.

But other farmers feel the added cost will be worth it, especially if it will give the public the choice to to purchase GMO-free products.

The public will have at least two more chances to provide testimony as the bill now goes to the financial and consumer protection committee.

Read more GMO Inside News »

6 Awesome Comments So Far

Don't be a stranger, join the discussion by leaving your own comment
  1. Norman
    March 4, 2014 at 11:20 am #

    Useful information. Lucky me I discovered your website unintentionally, and I’m shocked
    why this twist of fate did not happened in advance!
    I bookmarked it.

  2. www.aummaumma.it
    April 7, 2014 at 10:46 pm #

    Hello there! I simply would like to give you a big thumbs up for the excellent info
    you have got right here on this post. I’ll be returning to your website for more soon.

  3. http://caburnhope.co.uk
    April 18, 2014 at 10:59 am #

    You can certainly see your skills within the article you write.

    The arena hopes for more passionate writers like you
    who are not afraid to say how they believe. At all times go after your heart.

  4. Bernice
    April 24, 2014 at 10:43 pm #

    Excellent way of telling, and nice article to take facts about my presentation subject, which i am going to convey in
    university.

  5. makanan untuk diet
    May 8, 2014 at 11:25 pm #

    Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to
    make your point. You clearly know what youre talking about,
    why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your site when you could be giving us something enlightening to read?

  6. cara mengecilkan perut
    May 18, 2014 at 12:09 am #

    I’m not that much of a internet reader to be honest but your blogs really nice, keep it up!
    I’ll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back
    later on. Many thanks

Leave a Comment

Remember to play nicely folks, nobody likes a troll.