Just two weeks after the 2014 Starbucks shareholder meeting, where Schultz was asked about serving organic milk, Schultz held a press conference to reveal Starbucks’ strategic plan, “Our Organic Future” effective immediately. Starbucks will:
- Offer an organic milk option starting tomorrow
- Give a 50% discount on all drinks with milk for two months (to compensate customers for serving non-organic milk for years)
- Transition to all organic milk by 2015
- Donate $10M to help pass the Oregon GMO labeling campaign
- Cancel membership in the Grocery Manufacturers Association (GMA)
- No longer sell any GMO cotton t-shirts, and instead source only organic cotton
- Serve only organic, non-GMO baked goods in all stores by 2015
Schultz explained that he has been deeply affected by the outpouring of feedback and encouragement he has received from customers to get Starbucks to the gold standard of organic. He had finally seen the light. With tears in his eyes, he concluded the press conference with the a
nnouncement that he would resign as CEO as of today to become a small-scale organic dairy farmer where he would milk all of his cows by hand. With that, Schultz dropped the mic, put on a cowboy hat, and left the room.
Happy April Fool’s Day!
(Help make the above actions a reality. Click here to take action and tell Starbucks to serve only organic milk from cows not fed GMOs.)