CALL STARBUCKS TODAY!
Call Starbucks and ask the company to be a leader in its industry by providing organic dairy milk, sourced from cows not fed GMOs.
The last time GMO Insiders flooded Starbucks’ phone lines, the company reported “higher than normal” call volume – and customer service reps mentioned to many of you that they were receiving similar calls asking for organic milk. Your calls are one of the most effective ways to maintain pressure on Starbucks to make a long-term commitment to providing organic dairy. While there are many steps to achieving a more sustainable food system, supporting organic farming is a very important one– and your calls are making this known.
How? To make a call to Starbucks, you have one of two options:
- Through the new platform Amplifyd*, make a small donation to GMO Inside. You’ll provide crucial support for the work we do, and we’ll make the phone call on your behalf!
- You can make the call yourself by dialing 800-782-7282 and sharing your concerns with a customer service representative.
*This month, we are excited to partner with Amplify’d, a brand new platform that works to communicate the voice of the people to major decision makers. Instead of making a call yourself, you can make a donation to GMO Inside — and we will make the call on your behalf. All of the proceeds go towards GMO Inside, which assures that your contribution will support all of our work directly.
When? Monday, July 7, 2014
Why? Starbucks listens to its customers: In 2007, consumer demand for milk free of artificial growth hormone led the company to stop sourcing its milk from cows injected with rBST (a great first step!). However, Starbucks’ dairy is still sourced from cows raised on GMO feed grown with increasing amounts of pesticides. By sourcing milk from conventional dairy operations that feed cows a diet high in genetically modified corn, soy, and alfalfa, Starbucks is supporting an unsustainable agricultural system that prioritizes profit of biotechnology corporations and processed food companies over farmers, consumers, and the environment.
Join us in calling Starbucks today and ask for a company-wide long-term commitment to providing organic milk from cows not fed GMOs. Every call counts.
To make a call yourself, follow the steps below:
- Step 1: Prepare your statement using the following sample script. Feel free to add any additional concerns or questions. “As a concerned consumer, I am calling today to ask Starbucks to provide organic dairy milk and stop sourcing milk from cows fed GMOs. Starbucks demonstrated its dedication to consumer preference by phasing out milk sourced from cows injected with artificial growth hormone, but organic milk is the highest standard of sustainability when it comes to dairy. By serving conventional milk from cows fed a diet high in GMOs, Starbucks is supporting an unsustainable food system that only benefits biotechnology and agrichemical corporations. I hope that Starbucks will be a leader in environmental and social responsibility by sourcing its milk from cows raised on organic, non-GMO animal feed.”
- Step 2: Dial Starbucks’ customer service number–(800)-782-7282–and present your statement to a representative over the phone.
- Step 3: Report back in the comments section of this page! Tell us all about your call and the response you received from Starbucks’ customer service representatives.